3 Years ago my friend invited me to join him for a holiday trip to Thailand. I was scheduled to do something else but my friend kept insisting — “Seriously come, it will be an experience.”
I do not know why why but I listened to my gut feeling and I went.
Little did I know that — this one holiday would change my life forever. The holiday left a deep impact in my life. The people, the culture, the environment was really unique — so unique that I kept reflecting what did I want to do next.
However, as life would have it — I got busy and then went back to my normal routine in Dubai,UAE.
2 years ago, once again Thailand came calling back to me — this time another friend who invited me to come down and visit Koh Samui — an island near Thailand.
Once again — I was scheduled to do something else. I had a very important professional assignment. But I do not know why — but my gut kept telling me ‘go’.
I thought about it — on one hand I had this really profitable project. And on the other hand — a holiday.
I do not know why but I defied logic, cancelled my professional commitment and went for the holiday.
But this time round — when I went the wheels in my head kept turning more rapidly where I decided — this is it — this is where I want to go, this is where I want to be and this is where I want to spend the rest of my life. And so began my journey into Thailand.
However, when I came back — I do not know why — but I had the feeling in the pit of my stomach that I had to — just had to leave Dubai, UAE.
I cannot explain why.
I do not know the reason.
I seriously don’t even know what was I thinking.
But if I had to make that move — I had some major decisions to take.
- I would have to divorce my wife and best friend — as our private goals would completely take us to two different countries
- I would have to close down a very successful business — one that I had built from scratch
- I would have to say goodbye to my childhood friends, the place where I had spent my entire childhood and also clients who were loyal to me
- And the biggest and most painful decision I would have to make was — once I would cancel my visa and leave UAE — I knew 100% I would never be able to come back to UAE. Simply because of the fact that I was completely tattooed. As long as I stayed in the country — there was no problem renewing my existing visa for as long as I wanted. However, once I cancelled my visa — getting a new visa with a tattooed face — would be impossible.
I do not know what came into me but my mind was set.
My gut was telling me that it is time to leave.
And so, I started to make all the arrangements to leave.
Within the next 8 months,
- I closed down my entire business
- I got a mutual divorce
- I said goodbye to all my clients
- I sold off everything I had
- I ended up losing USD $100,000 to bad debts
- And I was left only with only $100,000 in the bank.
And I had no idea what to do next.
The only thing I knew — was migrate to Thailand.
And do you know the most scary part of it all — I had no plan B.
I didn’t question my gut, I didn’t try to explain myself to anyone and I didn’t try making sense of what was happening.
I just said to myself — lets just do this.
Today I celebrate 12 months of having lived in Koh Samui. There have been so many ups and downs, back and forth’s, successes & failures. In fact some of the major changes that have taken place thanks to ‘my gut’ are:
- I got married to an amazing woman
- I am going to be a Father for the 1st time in my life
- My online brand has garnered incredible traction
- My Online Mentoring Business has shot up
- I am saving more money (even though I earn less) because of my new life in Thailand.
And when I look back at Dubai, UAE, to my surprise — I learnt that my move was by far the smartest thing I had ever done because:
- Dubai, UAE introduced VAT making life in UAE very expensive
- The training business I was running before is now having too many new rules & regulations where it is no longer feasible to run
- Had I continued in Dubai, UAE — I would have lost more money staying there — which would have ended up eating into my savings.
So in a rather strange twist — where most people thought I was making a big mistake — turned out to be the best thing I ever done.
Now, I am not saying that every time you feel impulsive, you should go ahead and do it. But there are time when you have this deep feeling side of you that tells you what is to be done. It doesn’t make sense, it defies all logic and it is totally irrational. However, if you are able to identify your gut feeling, if you are able to listen to it, and if you have the courage to just do it — you never know what may happen next.
Yes, I have made many mistakes in the past listening to my impulsiveness. I lost $50,000 in a business investment, I ended up getting married to the wrong person, I even nearly ended up going into prison because I got into a legal tussle with someone incredibly powerful.
However, for all those failed misjudgments, I also made certain choices that made me succeed beyond my wildest dreams — like how I managed to get the TED talk, like how I became the Face of Coca-Cola in the Middle East and how today, I am living a life of my dreams — only because I listened to my gut.
So the next time you have an illogical, crazy, irrational and ridiculous thought stemming from that gut of yours….. You may want to listen to it. Because chances are — it would be a crazy, shocking & mindless act. But in the end, when the dust clears — it will most probably be the one small act that will have changed your life forever.