JJ — A friend of mine — successful engineering professional, amazing father & husband and a worthwhile human being sent me a message on whatsapp.
It consisted of 4 lines.
Now for those who know me, know the fact — I do not entertain mindless chats. But for those who are important to me — I always make time. JJ was always there for me when I needed him. And I considered it a pleasure to be there for him when he needed me.
As we chatted, he opened up about
- The mid-life crisis & confusion he was experiencing,
- The stalemate circumstances he was noticing where his personal & professional progress was concerned &
- The predictable pattern of monotonous behaviors he was now a slave off, thanks to his comfortzone
I knew him for a couple of years now and I understood his situation. Just like any other normal 40-year-old, he had the following responsibilities:
- A wife & 2 kids to take care off
- A career that kept him busy 16 hours a day
- A side-business that he was putting his effort & creativity into
- A migration plan to Australia that was in place
- And a MBA degree that he was completing from a prestigious university
I know — its a handful right?
I am pretty sure your first words would be — “isn’t that quite a lot?”
Well — this my friend is the reality of life in most modern high-rise expensive cities. And given that expenses are never ending — you cannot but expect people to push themselves in this manner.
Now, I know what you would state next…..
But JJ is hard-working, he is working the whole day, given his personal & professional challenges — he hardly must be having a day off — so then what do you expect him to do? Sleep less, work more and push himself to the brink?
Rather let me make you understand simple maths over here.
If you are earning $10 per hour and working 10 hours per day, wouldn’t it be better to work for $15 per hour for the same number of hours? In fact, wouldn’t it be amazing to work and earn $30 or even $100 per hour — wouldn’t that make life so much more easier?
This is exactly the problem JJ is facing.
He has the capacity to earn to $100 per hour.
But he is earning only $10 per hour. (I’m giving an example)
And it is killing him.
On top of that — he has been earning the same $10 per hour for the past 5 years while having to face inflation, having a new baby in his family and now increased responsibilities.
So what is the solution you can think off that too when a person is:
- Bored, Uninterested & Lazy
- Happy in his comfortzone
- Wants to change but doesn’t have the drive?
This is where I suggested the simple TAH-DAH…….
LOY MACHEDO’S 3 PRONGED APPROACH.
(Don’t worry — there is no trademark here. It is just a concept I have used over the years).
So what is ‘my’ 3-PRONGED APPROACH?
1) SMALL TARGETS BUT FUN TARGETS — BUT DAILY
When you have a big giant goal — say earn $120,000 in 12 months — it can be daunting. However, if you give yourself a goal — earn $100 today by doing anything fun — it becomes easier.
- Give yourself a realistic target every single day
- But something easy & fun
- And something that is measurable for example
Physical Goal like
- 10 pushups or
- 10 minutes walk or
- Stretching for 10 minutes
Educational Goal like
- Listen to an audio tape for 5 minutes while you do the dishes
- Watch an educational video on youtube for 10 minutes while you sip coffee in the morning
- Read 1 page of an self-improvement book
2) Try something NEW every single day
Try reading a book from a genre you would never read
(I read Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari. Personally speaking this was a book I would NEVER read simply because it was more of history and it was a subject I hated. But I challenged myself to go through it! And finally posted a book review:
Why not try a New audio program
I went through the one person’s educational program whom I absolutely detested — Lamborghini in my garage — Mr. Tai Lopez’s course!!! It was utterly useless — but I still decided to complete it to see if I could learn something new!
Or why not, do the following
- Make a new business contact
- Go to office trying a new route
- Go to a new restaurant
- Improve on your Resume by trying something new
- Apply for a new job position (even if you have a stable job)
- How about a totally new outfit or style to office
Only when you try new things, you learn something new about you.
So why not try something new every single day?
3) Examine the Unexamined.
Like the cliche saying goes…..A unexamined life is not worth living.
To do this, do the following:
- You will need time alone and silent.
- Plan out your entire day — the night before
- Do it in writing
- Give yourself 3 targets for the day — simple ones
- They should be worthwhile goals that can make a positive difference to your life
- Keep it simple, easy and fun
- Ensure you do it
- It can also be something fun from playing a video game for 1 hour to watching your favorite movie BUT it should also have something IMPORTANT & URGENT that benefits your career, personal or professional life.
Why do I recommend this technique?
How do you know where you will reach, when you are driving full speed on the highway of life without knowing the direction?
So….What is the benefit that you get out of these 3 steps?
- It pushes you out of your comfort-zone
- It constantly reminds you to try something new
- It keeps giving you new experiences
- It keeps you competitive & creative
- It forces you to think out of the box & challenge yourself
- It helps ingrain new habits
- It makes life fun & enjoyable
Just as going to the gym for 1 week or 7 days the whole year is not going to give you 6-pack abs or give you amazing health for the rest of your life — doing this for 1 week and stopping is not going to give you any results.
LONGEVITY, CONSISTENCY & COMMITMENT is the key to success in any endeavor.
And when you keep doing anything over and over again — it becomes a habit. And a habit will shape your future & your destiny.
Being a person who doesn’t have the luxury of being given a guaranteed salary and who does not go around giving people his business card to earn money — I know how important it is for me to reinvent myself. Because if I don’t — I will not only NOT earn any new customers or clients — in this super competitive & super crowded internet world — I will cease to exist.
If I am able to earn the big $$$ per month easily, doing what I love — it is because I constantly try new things, I constantly keep a routine, and I constantly reflect where I am headed and what I am doing.
So if you are going through a mid-life crisis or you are confused about life or you are stuck in your comfort-zone — give these 3 techniques a shot and see how does it impact your life. I for one have seen the immense difference it has made in my life as it propelled me from being a 9-to-5 (actually 9-to-9) employee stuck in the rat-race to being someone who is today without a doubt — totally free, happy and joyful person living a life of his dreams.
Give it a shot….
What do you got to lose?